Skip to main content

History

Lewis County Historical Society

Address:
7552 South State St.
Lowville, NY 13367

Phone:

315-376-8957

Website:
www.lewiscountyhistory.org

Photos courtesy of Dorothy Duflo
Timeline courtesy of Charlotte Beagle

History

1791

Macomb’s Purchase
Most of the North Country (3.6 million acres, or about one tenth of New York) is sold by New York State to three Irish-born businessmen from New York City — Alexander Macomb and his silent partners, William Constable and Daniel McCormick. The area that would become Lewis County ends up under the control of one man — William Constable.

1797-1798

Township 11 is surveyed and subdivided into 40 smaller lots, including Stow Square, which Nicolas Low conveys to his land agent, Silas Stow. Stow pushes land sales and the first settlers begin to acquire property and settle around Mill Creek.

1799

New York State’s Surveyor General formally changes the name of Township 11 to Lowville. Rough road from Turin to Lowville is constructed through the eleven-mile woods. Number Three Road and East Road through Lowville are surveyed and laid out. First grist mill in Lowville is erected on Mill Creek.
1800

1800

Town of Lowville Established

The Town of Lowville is officially established as part of Oneida County, and initially runs all the way up to the south side of the Deer River. New York State lays out the Old State Road from Utica to Lowville, continuing to Champion and Sackets Harbor (current State Street).

1805

Lewis County is formed from Oneida County, and the Town of Lowville becomes part of the new county. The first church building is erected on Stow Street (current Methodist Episcopal Church).

1812-1815

The War of 1812

Growth slows, as townsmen depart for service in the United States’ army and state militias during the War of 1812.

1820-1821

The first agricultural society is formed in Lewis County. The first Lewis County Fair is held at Lowville Academy in October of 1821 (current site of the Presbyterian Church).

1850

1830-1850

Jackson, Dayan, Elm, and Collins Streets are laid out.

1854

Village of Lowville Incorporated

The Village of Lowville is formally incorporated under state law, being the first incorporated village in Lewis County.

1855

Black River Canal traffic first arrives in Lowville, at Lowville (Spafford’s) Landing and Smith’s Landing (now known as Dadville).

1859

The agricultural society is reorganized as the current Lewis County Agricultural Society in Lowville.

1861-1865

Civil War

Several townsmen depart for service in the Union Army and state militias during the Civil War.

1864

The Village of Lowville is designated as the county seat for Lewis County, formally switching the county’s governmental and administrative center from Martinsburg.

1867

The First railroad line arrives in Lowville, continuing the Utica and Black River Rail line north from Boonville. Trinity Avenue is laid out, running from State Street to East Road.

Kellogg House

1869

A major fire devastates downtown Lowville on South State Street. The Kellogg House (later known as the Bateman Hotel) is constructed on the burned site of the Howell House, as the Village begins to rebuild.

1876

Lewis County Fairgrounds

A major fire in downtown Lowville burns much of lower Dayan Street. Forest Park is established, acquired by the Lewis County Agricultural Society, and becomes home to the Lewis County Fairgrounds. The Grandstand, racetrack, and various exhibit buildings are constructed.

Kellogg House

1888

Electric Lights

The Lowville Electric Company (later known as Wetmore Electric) is organized. A power plant is built on Mill Creek, and the first electric streetlights are erected in Lowville.

1894

The Village of Lowville establishes the Adirondack Water Works in Watson to provide municipal water to Lowville. Susan B. Anthony speaks at the Lowville Opera House in support of women’s suffrage.

1898-1900

The Wetmore Electric Company acquires Lowville Electric and constructs Lewis County’s first hydro-electric plant in Belfort. Lowville Cheese cold storage plant is constructed and begins operation (later Kraft Cheese Company). The first telephone lines are installed in Lowville, with the formation of the Black River Telephone Company.

1900

1907

The Village annexes 332 acres to the south and east, expanding the size of the Village for the first time since its incorporation.

Kellogg House

1912

The first streets in the Village are paved, beginning a multi-year effort to pave all Village streets. The Village also begins the first reforestation project in Lewis County, on the Lowville Waterworks property in Watson (planting 750,000 trees).

1917-1918

World War 1

Several townsmen depart for service in the United States’ military during World War 1.

Kellogg House

1918-1926

The Lewis County Farm Bureau Association and Lowville Farmer’s Co-Op are organized in Lowville. New York State’s “Lowville Tree Nursery” is established in Dadville. The Village adopts its first building code and zoning ordinances. Lowville Academy (today’s High School) relocates to current building on North State Street.

1930-1931

Lewis County Hospital is constructed and opens to the public as the first general care hospital in Lewis County.

1941-1945

World War 2

Several townsmen depart for service in the United States’ military during World War 2.

1950

1947-1949

A new County Courthouse is built on North State Street. Lowville Producers Dairy Cooperative builds and begins operation of large milk plant on Utica Boulevard.

1962

Veteran’s Memorial Park is established and dedicated to “those in the Town of Lowville who served their country in times of war.”

1970-1971

Kraft

Kraft cream cheese plant is constructed on Utica Boulevard and begins operation as one of the largest cream cheese producers in the world, noted for its famous “Philadelphia” cream cheese brand.

1980

A major fire in downtown Lowville burns much of South State Street.

1985-1991

The Village annexes land along lower Turkey Road, and property on outer Stow Street. Town offices move to their current location on Bostwick Street, with the Village offices to follow.

Kellogg House

1999

A major fire burns in downtown Lowville, on the corner block of Dayan and South State Street.

2000

2008-2009

The Village annexes land along outer Ross Road. A new three-story, 40,000 square foot addition to the Lewis County Court House is built to house all of Lewis County’s courts. The First Town and Village Comprehensive Plan is adopted.

2013

The Guinness World Record-Holding “World’s Largest Cheesecake” is unveiled at the Lowville Cream Cheese Festival.

2018-2019

Jefferson Community College builds and opens the Lewis County Education Center along East Road.

2020-2021

The Coronavirus Pandemic spreads across the globe.

2021-2023

The Lewis County Agricultural Society holds the 200th Lewis County Fair at the Lewis County Fairgrounds. A fundraiser is conducted to restore the original Grandstand, in order to maintain the Fairgrounds’ historic significance and charm.

This site is designed, secured, managed, & monitored by civally.com.